Thanks in part to the commitment of Camp NaNoWriMo, I have reached a point in “Snake Charmer” where I am about 1/2 way through the story. This has also put me in the position to be able to release the first three parts of the story, at about 60-70 pages each, on Kindle.
Doing it in parts like this affords some positive benefits:
- For those who absolutely can’t wait for “Snake Charmer”, they get a chance to read it as soon as possible.
- If they pay attention to promotions or use the Kindle Lending Library, they could – in theory – get all of “Snake Charmer” for free.
- I get a chance to “edit as I go”, making sure all of it lines up right and has the right tone.
- I get feedback from readers as I go.
- Very important one: the free promos of the books helps to generate interest in them. It may also generate interest in “Firedancer” and “The Shifting Sands”.
- One of the cornerstones of Amazon Marketing is “Quantity is everything” – the more books out there with your name on them, regardless of length, the more likely your name becomes one people recognize.
So I will be spending the weekend not writing so much as formatting for Kindle. I hope to have the first part out next week, the second part the week after, etc.
I have also found, in the past, it helps to motivate me to write even more when I break it down into smaller parts. Don’t know why – maybe the task seems less daunting or it is because I know there are people out there waiting for the next segment of the tale. It worked well with “Firedancer.”
So, keep your eyes peeled!